Wednesday, December 19, 2018

1st Semester Graphic Design Final Exam

Performance Review Blog

Link to My Behance:

Julia Hester's Profile 


Projects Done this Semester


Raccoon Adobe Illustrator:

This project was to follow a tutorial to begin us using Illustrator in class. It took me 3 days at most to complete this project. Some challenges I faced was using pathfinder to mask and divide objects to create highlights and the design around its eyes. Along the way, I learned to be more comfortable with using a program that wasn't Photoshop or Maya. Some feedback I got while working was to make the bats around the raccoon smoother. My original idea was just a vampire raccoon, but the end project had a pumpkin behind it for a fall theme and bats around him to add on to being a vampire. I really liked this one as it looks professionally cute.


Panorama Photoshop:

For this project, we had to take 10-12 images and combine them into a final piece to tell a story. Mine took anywhere from 5 days to 7 because I worked on the contrast a lot. Some difficulties I experienced were making the images look relatively the same and having the same whitest white and blackest black. Throughout this, I learned how to easily manipulate an images contrast and how to use masks to easily alter them. I got most feedback on the whites/blacks and on the rough or messy edges. I changed my original image based on this feedback, so now the image looks cleaner and is also brighter. My overall opinion at this time was that Photoshop was easy to use and that this could look good in a portfolio as a statement piece.

 Photoshop Tutorial Print:

This project was to turn a previous project you did into a physical print. It was one of the longer ones we did, taking around 2 weeks because we had to do a lot of waiting and cleaning up. Some troubles that occurred was that my other print had bubbles in it so that the print didn't lay even or have the image distributed correctly, but since this is my second one I had fewer mistakes. The only feedback I got was to use more water to finish getting the remnants of paper off. I didn't make any changes compared to my original idea since there was not much to do once the print was placed upon the watercolor sheet. I think this project changed my mind that graphic design was something that is kept on the computers, and I liked that we were able to do something physical in this class.

Time Spent in Class

When I finished early or thought I was done, I either worked on animation or created something in Photoshop. However, mostly I used any extra time to add to my Behance or to add on to the project I finished and revised it to look the best I could make it. I often went back to mess with line art or to use filters/layers to add more depth. Outside of class, I worked with friends to help them with their projects or to work alongside them on ones I hadn't yet completed so that I could get more help or advice myself. In this class, I try to use every second being productive, whether that means completing my project or editing it, or helping someone else with theirs so that I could also get insight into my own. 

Strengths as a Student

My strengths as a student, or employee, include being able to get projects done on time and having them still look good. I am able to pick up on new skills while also improving on what I have done before, so that I am able to look at my past and know how to use it to better my future. Since we have two eComm classes, I know how to move between various programs, from Maya to Photoshop to After Effects to Illustrator. I know the tools well in Photoshop, like using the clone stamp and how to use filters, then I am also able to use the pen tool in Illustrator well to create a clean image. Along with knowing various tools and finishing projects, I also make sure to do the other side of this class by adding to my Behance and finishing my blogs. 

My Ares of Improvement

Though I do talk with my friends about the projects, I am still a generally reserved person to anyone else. I saw this the most when I thought about doing our Open House, but decided against it since I did not feel comfortable with talking in front of everyone. Also, I am always willing to improve with my technical skills, because I feel like I'm still hesitant to use the pen tool in Adobe even though I think my graphics came out nicely, I didn't add on to them more because I thought that I would mess it all up. In Photoshop, I was always nervous to use various masks and filters, so I stuck mostly to just adjustment layer, but I know I need to get better at Selection and editing if I want to continue on the Graphic Design path. I feel like with 2nd semester, I could improve on every area of eComm to become a better student. 

Summary

What I loved most this semester was using Photoshop to edit and combine images. There's just something I like about creating something new from other pieces, and then editing that final piece was relaxing in a way. What I would do differently, though, would be to use less clipping tools because I need to be more at ease when doing a project and not always depend on something to fall back on. Also, I would use Illustrator more often because some days it still feels foreign. My overall take-away is that to succeed in graphic design you will have to know how to quickly move in between programs and that you must have some knowledge on every tool so that you are able to create the best assignment you can. One goal I would like to set for myself is to get 100% on every project and to redo the ones I lose points on. I honestly had a lot of fun in this class compared to e9, and I appreciate the freedoms and work time we were given. 

No comments:

Post a Comment